Today I am joined by Tuhina Raman, MD who is a Pulmonologist in the Philadelphia area. She tells us all about the incredible trip she took to Rome, Pompei and the Amalfi Coast in Italy alone with her two children who are 8 and 6 years old.
In today’s episode, we discuss:
- Flying to Europe on Norwegian Airlines– it’s great!
- Minimalist packing, doing laundry on the road, and throw away clothing.
- Tip: Why rolling luggage is a must for Europe.Staying in Airbnb’s throughout Italy.
- Using Melatonin to get accustomed to the local time and avoid jet lag.
- 5 days in Rome- seeing the Coliseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, The Vatican and Biking in Villa Borghese Park.
- Why it’s important to schedule downtime on trips with kids.Gelato is a requirement in Italy twice a day!
- How easy it is to take public buses all around Rome.
- Tip: traveling to Italy in Spring is perfect and uncrowded since it’s off season.
- Day trip to Pompei- train from Rome to Naples and then small train to Pompei.
- Tip: Luggage storage in Pompei.
- Airbnb Experience- Explore Pompei with an Archaeologist.
- Italy is very family friendly and many things were free for children.
- Mount Vesuvius Winery stop on the way to Amalfi Coast.
- Getting a private driver from Pompei to the Amalfi Coast.
- Being prepared for carsickness on long, winding car rides.
- Taking ferries from town to town in the Amalfi Coast.
- Visiting the Emerald Grotto Cave.
- Taking a walk through a lemon orchard was her favorite activity.
- Why they decided to stay in Maiori for low crowds and beach access.
- Charming restaurant in Maiori: Ristorante Pineta 1903
- Tip: Finding foodie souvenirs in local delis.
- Why you don’t need a car for Rome or Amalfi.
- Tip: Booking train tickets ahead of time at: Trenitalia.com.
- Tip: Rent a portable wifi device at Rome Airport through OneMyFi.com.
- Tip: Use WhatsApp to communicate with locals through wifi.
- Experiencing Easter in Italy.
- Tip: Shop for nice leather bags, belts or coats in Rome.
- Must Do in Italy: Eat, Eat, Eat, Eat!!!
- Where Tuhina and her family will be traveling to next.
Tuhina and her children had a lovely trip and would recommend other families go and see Italy as well. It was very family friendly and Italians love children. Don’t forget to eat Gelato at least twice a day!
If you would like to get in touch with Tuhina regarding travel planning, reach out to her by email at: Tuhina_R@msn.com.
LEAVE ME A MESSAGE
Want to be considered for a future episode of the Hippocratic Holiday? Please leave me a SpeakPipe message with your name, trip dates, where you traveled to, and who is in your group.
You can do that using your computer or phone at www.speakpipe.com/HippocraticHoliday